1. Scout your territory during the day. Do your recon and check out the lay of the land during the day so you’re not skulking around and looking suspicious.
2. Dive at night but not too late. If you’re a woman like me, be careful, carry mace on you OR take a buddy.
3. If a manager approaches you and gets snippy or nasty, don’t argue, leave. That goes for security guards as well. I’ve found that when a manager or guard gets really nasty there is something in that dumpster THEY want and they want you gone.
4. Check your local ordinances. You can be arrested for trespassing.
5. Don’t pick or cut a lock, it’s NOT worth it.
6. Make friends with your local security guards in the malls or areas you wanna dive. I used to bring them candy, cookies and baked goods. Many of them I did their taxes at no charge. That big refund they got from the IRS came in real handy and they always looked the other way when I drove by.
Diving has made me VERY street smart. I’m a lot better sussing someone out in my personal or business life than ever before. There is something to be said being out at night with the invisible people. They can tell you many stories.